Choosing Talbot County: Fast Facts at a Glance
- Talbot County ranks #1 in Maryland as the best place for small businesses
- 29% of Talbot County’s population earns $100,000 or more in income. Median household income is $79,349. Mean household income in top 5% is $491,200
- Talbot County’s graduation rate is the highest rate in the state at 95 percent, well above the national average of 87 percent
- Talbot County is a hub for healthcare, with 185 businesses and 3,783 employees in the industry
- Talbot County is home to 1,457 businesses with at least one employee, and 4,364 real estate agents, freelancers, and independent consultants
- Talbot County’s tourism industry employs 1,986 people, generating $303 million in visitor spending and $120.1 million in local, state, and federal taxes
- Talbot County offers the lowest real property tax rate in the state
- Talbot County’s median home value is $334,000
(Updated Oct. 18, 2023)
Talbot County is small, but influential.
Talbot County has our own unique story to tell. Get to know who ignites Talbot County’s economy.
- Population: 37,020
- Bachelor’s Degree or More: 43%
- Average Family Size / Household: 2.18
- Total Number of Civilian Businesses: 2,508
- Projected Unemployment Rate: 3.1%
- White Collar Jobs: 73%
Information from the Delmarva Index.
Download Talbot County’s full demographic profile by clicking the image below or the following link: Delmarva Index – Talbot County
University of Maryland Shore Regional Health is the largest employer in the Mid-Shore Region with 2,000 employees, 1,500 of whom reside in Talbot County. It has completed a 40,000 sq. ft. emergency pavilion for Shore Medical Center in Easton and is in the planning stages for a new $350 million regional hospital in Easton.
Located in the historic town of Easton, Md., Bayleigh Chase, an Acts Retirement-Life Community is set against the backdrop of a richly landscaped 35-acre campus. Apartment homes and spacious cottages and villas provide the perfect option no matter the retirement lifestyle.
Shore Bancshares, Inc. is the largest independent financial holding company headquartered on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Shore Bancshares, Inc. is the parent company of Shore United Bank. The Bank operates 31 full-service branches, 3 loan production offices, and 4 mortgage offices. The bank provides a full range of commercial and consumer banking products and services to individuals, businesses, and other organizations in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Dorchester County, Howard County, Kent County, Queen Anne’s County, Talbot County and Worcester County in Maryland, Kent County and Sussex County in Delaware and in Accomack County, Virginia. The Company engages in trust and wealth management services through Wye Financial Partners, a division of Shore United Bank.
Qlarant, a Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse investigator, serves as a government contractor with a national presence at its Easton headquarters.
Sea Watch International is a seafood company that operates a production facility in Easton and is recognized as the largest harvester and processor of clam products in the world. All of the clams are harvested in U.S. fishing waters under federal regulations.
Eurofins Agroscience Services is one of the most respected names in contract research and testing, is a global scientific services company that operates their environmental testing and regulatory compliance division out of Easton to meet worldwide environmental testing needs.
APG Media of Chesapeake, LLC owns and publishes newspapers, magazines, websites, and mobile applications in Maryland and Delaware. The company was incorporated in 2014 and is headquartered in Easton, Maryland. APG Media of Chesapeake, LLC operates as a subsidiary of Adams Publishing Group LLC.
Talbot County offers the lowest real property tax rate in the state of Maryland and the second lowest income tax rate. A complete list of tax rates is available here.